Square Panda Lesson Plan: Letter Discrimination
The students will learn to distinguish between similar looking lowercase letters.
- Square Panda Playset and Letter Lullaby learning game
- b,d; p,q; m,n; i,j; n,u
(Note: Duplicate letters may be needed depending on the number of students in your class or group.
- Today we will look at lowercase letters. Some letters look similar. Let’s take a look at some of the letters that look similar.
- Ask: What are some letters that look similar or alike?Allow students to respond.
Activity (Whole Group)
- Assign each student a partner with a matching list of lowercase letters.
- Students will work together to write and match uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Using Square Panda Letter Lullaby, students will take turns placing an uppercase letter on the tray. Students then listen to the song to confirm the letter.
- After the song is completed, students will write the lowercase letter multiple times on a piece of paper.
- Display flashcards b and d. Ask: What are names of these letters?Allow students to respond. How are these letters alike and different?Allow students to respond. Both letters are made with a line and circle.
- Display both uppercase and lowercase letters for B. Demonstrate how to write the lowercase b.
The lowercase d is made with a line and circle. To form the letter b, start with the line first then draw the letter.
The lowercase d is made with a line and circle. To form the letter d, start with the circle first then draw the line.
Independent practice / Assessment
- Individualize this assignment by giving specific letters to students based on previous assessments.
- Provide the students a list of lowercase letters. Using the Square Panda Letter Lullaby learning game, have students use the uppercase letter and place the letter on the tray.
- Encourage students to listen to the song and repeat the letter sound. After the song is finished, have students to write the lowercase letter 3-4 times. As the student writes the letter, make sure the student says the letter name out loud and repeat the sound.
Beginner –Provide students with flashcards. Have students to trace the letters multiple times. Each time the students trace a letter, encourage them to say the letter name and sound.
Advanced –Have students to create letter art. Provide students with 1 or 2 groups of confusing letters. Ask students to use the letters to create a picture. After students complete each letter, have students name each picture with the beginning sound of that letter.
Integration into classroom activity
- As a center activity, use the Square Panda Letter Lullaby learning game and lined paper with preprinted targeted letters.
- Have students place a letter on the tray and then write the uppercase letter beside the lowercase letter on the lined paper.
- As students write the uppercase letter, encourage them to repeat the sound of the letter name and name the picture given during the letter song.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.