We are looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Engineer to help design and build the next-gen Square Panda learning systems!
Square Panda is an educational technology startup dedicated to helping kids acquire the skills they need to be a fluent reader. Our team is comprised of passionate researchers, designers, engineers, and artists. At Square Panda, we believe multisensory play is the key to unlocking memorable learning experiences. We're looking for an individual who is excited to build products to help kids become strong, confident readers!
The ideal candidate is a fast moving and confident individual who has a strong track record of techical ownership and collaboration. He/she is earger to apply their knowledge of mechanical engineering towards designing highly impactful learning products for kids.
This role is located in Sunnyvale, CA and reports to the Director of Product.
- Own the mechanical architecture and design
- Collaborate closely with industrial, electrical, firmware, and manufacturing engineers
- Generate CAD models and engineering drawings for manufacturing
- Injection-molded plastic part design and first article inspection
- Integrate mechanical systems with electrical components like PCBAs, sensors, displays, lightpipes, etc.
- Travel to manufacturing facilities in China to oversee production runs
- Support manufacturing and QA with fixture or testing apparatus design
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years experience in consumer electronics (full development cycle from concept to production)
- Extensive CAD skills, Solidworks preferred
- Familiar with rapid prototyping methods such as 3D printing, quick-turn CNC machining, low volume molding, silicone casting, etc
- Knowledge of scalable manufacturing processes and DFM.
- Able to travel up to 15% to manufacturing facilities in China.
- Experience working with manufacturing teams in China
- Prior experience in a startup
- Prior experience with children's product development
- Strong bias towards action, creative and resourceful problem solver
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects (and enjoy it!)
- Has worked on products that shipped
- Conversational Mandarin is a plus