Software Engineer, Analytics
The Software Engineer, Analytics will work with the internal Square Panda team (engineering, product, educational curriculum) and external engineering teams to design, develop and extend our cloud-based back-end services. Square Panda’s Educational Cloud Platform delivers critical functionality to our innovative educational technology products.
The primary duties will include developing analytics software for our cloud platform, extracting meaning from raw educational and gameplay data. Additional duties will include developing internal tools, research projects, supporting partners and internal stakeholders and other duties as required.
The successful candidate will have strong skills in data analysis and be broadly skilled in cloud software technologies with strong programming skills. Some typical, high-level projects might look like this:
- Read a dense academic paper in the field of educational neuroscience and translate those ideas into a solid product feature(s) which analyzes the gameplay data captured by our educational games.
- Code a complex cloud server process that presents not only basic dashboard data in real-time but creates information from such data in real-time.
- Create a powerful software program that can present extremely sophisticated analysis of gameplay data to a mass-market consumer in a way that the consumer understands the meaning and appreciates the value of the data. Then code the web page to display it.
This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager, with important relationships to the CTO and the Product Team.
- Write a lot of code adding innovative features to our cloud services.
- Extend and improve our existing cloud platform software.
- Fix bugs.
- Work with technical and non-technical stakeholders to develop product requirements and innovative solutions.
- Create/Extend documentation for our cloud platform.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field and relevant experience
- 5 years of software engineering experience
- Strong software development skills including programming languages, system architecture and agile development process.
- Demonstrated expertise and passion for data analytics.
- Strong experience in many of the following areas:
- Modern, object-oriented programming languages: Java, C++, Scala, Ruby, …
- Big data architectures and platforms: Hadoop
- Data analysis tools: SPSS, SAS, R, Stata, …
- Databases: Mongo, NoSQL, …
- Scripting languages: Python, Perl, …
- UNIX systems and development
- Databases: Mongo, NoSQL, …
- Cloud platform expertise: AWS preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or relevant domain
- Experience with big-data systems and solutions (Hadoop, etc.)
- Additional skills that add value to our company (technical or domain expertise).
- A passion for our product space and a desire to improve the lives of others.
To apply, please email your resume to: email@example.com
Type: Full time
Last Updated: January 5, 2017
Job Location: Sunnyvale, CA
About Square Panda:
Square Panda Inc. (http://www.squarepanda.com ) is a privately funded startup company focused on creating fun, innovative and educationally sound products that help children acquire early-reading skills through game play. Our unique connected playset and “smart letters” work with mobile tablet software to present a multi-sensory (touch, visual, audio) approach to phonics and other critical early reading skills.
To all recruitment agencies: Square Panda does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, employees or other company locations. Square Panda is not responsible for fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Square Panda is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.